How do you get your clothing discounts?
Whether it’s your favorite way to spend your free time or something you hate doing, shopping for new clothes is something we all have to do. You may want to shop for the perfect trench coat to go with your new dress or upgrade your wardrobe with more sustainable clothing brands.
Or maybe it’s that time of the year when you’re in desperate need of stylish winter boots or a new swimsuit. Also, is it just us, or do you find yourself constantly looking for new pajamas? Whatever you’re searching for, a shopping trip doesn’t have to burn a hole in your pocket. If you know when the best time to do your shopping is, you can land some real clothing discounts.
Don’t worry, we did our homework and talked to some shopping experts to find out when you should hit the stores and the sites. Get ready to mark your calendars as the first round of clothing discounts is right around the corner!
When do you know you need new clothes?
Of course, there are lots of reasons why you could want new clothes, but there are moments when you really need new pieces of clothing. Here are a few signs that it’s time:
- Your essential wardrobe items are stained, damaged, or worn out.
- Your size has changed.
- You have an event coming up, and it requires a new jacket, dress, or shoes.
- You return back to the office, and you’d rather wear business casual pieces than your loungewear sets.
- You’ve been wearing items that are out of style, and it’s time for a wardrobe upgrade.
When is the best time to buy some new clothes?
According to fashion experts, the ideal time to buy clothes for each season is during major shopping holidays when retailers offer deep clothing discounts to entice shoppers. This isn’t just the best time to get clothing discounts, but also to buy electronics and appliances. If you can’t wait for a holiday, look for end-of-season sales, when retailers clear out inventory to make enough room for new arrivals.
This being said, if you need to upgrade your wardrobe as soon as possible, you should do that earlier in the season. All stores will have a larger variety then, and you’ll be able to wear those new items throughout the season.
But if you’re looking for a deep clothing discount, make sure you keep reading this article. Whether it’s sweaters, winter coats, dresses, bathing suits, and so on, you’ll know exactly when the best time to buy them is!
When’s the best time to buy your winter clothes?
For warm sweaters, winter coats, boots, and accessories like hats, scarves, and cozy socks, you’ll get the best clothing discounts on Presidents Day. This event is always held on the third weekend of February, and you can expect huge deals of up to 70% off on winter clothes for the entire three-day weekend.
You can also save a lot of cash by shopping for cold-weather items before stores do their annual physical inventory. Most retailers do this accounting procedure in the first quarter of the year to keep a track of the losses and ensure that the business is doing well with its current stock.
When’s the best time to buy spring and summer clothes?
You can buy warm-weather essentials during three key months. As you might have already guessed, they coincide with three major holidays. Also, in July, you’ll find some insanely serious clothing discounts you won’t want to miss.
May: Yes, we’re talking about Memorial Day. The holiday coincides with a major big sale that is always on the last Monday in May, but shops reduce their prices all weekend. As retailers get ready for summer lines, shoppers can save anywhere from 25% to even 60% on clothing items, including rain boots and spring jackets.
July: The first is July 4th. Stores offer significant discounts of up to 75% on both spring and summer clothing during the 4th of July sales. You may even get yourself some gorgeous swimwear at rock-bottom prices. July is also the month when Amazon Prime Day is held, and you can benefit from huge clothing discounts between 50% and 80%.
Plus, some major retailers also give combating offers around Prime Day. Looking for discounted designer clothing? Check out Nordstrom’s famous Anniversary Sale, a fashion event that could bring you discounts between 30% and 40% on designer clothes, including fall essentials like sweaters and leggings.
September: Labor Day weekend is when the clearance sale for summer items takes place. So, if you enjoy digging through the sale rack for the best clothing discounts on summer items, go for it. Wear those warm-weather staples for a few more weeks, or save them for next year. Keep in mind that styles and sizes may be limited.
When’s the best time to buy your fall clothing?
You can find some amazing clothing discounts in early September, thanks to Labor Day and back-to-school sales. Both sales events offer anywhere between 20% and 50% off — obviously, the biggest sales will be on summer stuff. Even better? According to fashion experts, the rest of the month will bring extra opportunities for savings.
While the next ideal time to get huge clothing discounts is usually in November, rumor has it that Amazon may host another Prime Day in October. This has yet to be verified, but we’re keeping our fingers crossed!
Moving forward, let’s talk about November. Experts in the field point out that both Black Friday and Cyber Monday are the best occasions to buy clothing in the fall. Discounts and doorbusters of up to 80% are available on both fall and summer items, making those two events the best time to stock up for next year. There will also be pre-sales on winter items, so why not get ready for Christmas?
Fashion experts also suggest going shopping on Singles Day, which is on November 11th. If you aren’t familiar with this holiday, it originated in China as a day-long shopping event for single folks to celebrate themselves by spending a lot of money on everything from clothing to electronics. It has recently made its way to our country, so keep an eye out for it on websites and in stores! You may find some great clothing discounts.
When is the worst possible time you could buy clothes?
According to the fashion experts we’ve talked to, the worst time to buy clothes is during peak season for the piece of clothing you are after. For instance, a lot of people buy sweaters during the winter months, but they would be surprised if they knew how much money they can actually save by getting those items in spring. Also, swimsuits will always have the highest prices during the summer months.
So, if you’re looking for great clothing discounts, make sure to avoid those peak seasons. Your wallet will thank you!
How to save when buying new clothes?
If you’re a bit too frugal to spend a lot of money on clothes, then you may already know some ways to avoid doing so. Still, we’ve decided to share with you some of the tricks and tips the fashion experts have told us. Walking into a store during a sale event can save you a great deal of money, but there are even more methods to save.
- Use a cash-back app. Install a cash-back plug-in such as Ibotta or Rakuten on your mobile phone, or download their browser extensions — which are free! — to save extra money on your purchases. For instance, you can earn up to 10% cash back on all purchases made at participating retailers.
- Shop during the biggest shopping holidays. Not only can you find some awesome clothing discounts, but these sales events are also when many stores give extra cashback on shopping sites like Ibotta or Rakuten. Shoppers can get double or even triple the amount of cashback, maximizing their savings.
- Go to an outlet store. Fashion experts point out that outlet stores can be awesome places to buy apparel because they often give deeper clothing discounts on popular items. They also have a surplus of stock of the current season’s inventory.
- Compare prices found on the website or the store’s app to the in-store ones. Believe it or not, that wonderful pair of jeans you found might be $10 to $15 cheaper online. Some retailers, such as Target, have apps that give you the chance to download additional coupons as well as scan barcodes. Sometimes, an item that’s sold at the full price in the store will have a discount on the app. That being said, you can put those items you like aside in your cart and ask for a price adjustment at the checkout. Simply have your mobile phone ready in case they want you to show them the lower price. Walmart will also match its online prices.
- Shop during your state’s tax holiday. Almost all US states levy a sales tax. If you live in one of them, there’s a good chance for you to benefit from a small reprieve each year. Many states usually waive the sales tax on both clothing and footwear purchases for a few days during the summer. Just remember that this only applies to purchases up to $100. If you’re interested in some more information on how you can save a few extra dollars during your state’s tax holiday, click here.
- Shop off-season. You may be tempted to buy winter clothes during Labor Day or back-to-school sales, but you won’t find great clothing discounts. Instead, go after discounted swimwear and other summer items that can still be worn in the following year.
Ways to save when buying used clothes
Experts in the field highlight that buying clothes from thrift shops is a sustainable option you should consider. Not only can you get insanely deep clothing discounts on amazing items, but you can also save a nice chunk of money on name-brand stuff. For example, that Canada Goose jacket you’ve been thinking about for months? Poshmark has a lot of them, and you’ll save hundreds of dollars compared to buying one new.
Plus, when shopping for new clothes, fashion experts recommend donating your clothing rather than throwing it out. This way, someone else can wear those items. Or, if you have enough time and/or energy, you can even sell your old clothes online and make some money for your new wardrobe. Here are some brilliant money-saving tips you can use when shopping for used clothes:
- Make an offer. The list price isn’t usually the final price, whether you’re shopping on your local online marketplace or a resale site. So go ahead and make the seller an offer. The seller is more likely to negotiate if an item has been listed for a longer period of time.
- Know the sales. Yes, even thrift shops have sales where you can get some great clothing discounts. For instance, Goodwill is known for its marketing strategy called the “color of the week” sale. Each week, they choose a different color tag marking down 50%, which means you can get a lot of clothes for half of their prices.
- Shop tag sales. Check Craigslist or your local Facebook groups, and look for signs promoting tag sales around your neighborhood. Then dedicate a weekend day to go treasure hunting in your area. You’ll be surprised to find that some used clothes can be purchased for $1 per item. Some folks may even fill a bag with a lot of items that are only $10 or $20.
What are the best locations to buy clothes?
Of course, the answer to this question depends on your budget and style, but if you want to invest in high-quality items, Nordstrom is the place to go. Though its staples tend to be in the pricier range, Nordstrom runs several major sales throughout the year where you can get insanely deep clothing discounts.
The Half Yearly Sale takes place twice a year, once in the fall and once in late spring. Meanwhile, its famous Anniversary Sale happens every summer in July.
You can also get great clothing discounts on items made by designers at Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack. Do you prefer shopping in person? T.J. Maxx is an excellent place where you can find big-name brands at reasonable prices.
For more budget-friendly options, check out Amazon, Walmart, and Target. While these big retailers already offer high-quality stuff at low prices, there are a lot of clothing discounts that may help you save even more. The annual Target Deal Days sales is an event that happens exclusively on the Target website and the Target app. Walmart also has its own sales events around Black Friday and Amazon Prime Day.
Plus, direct-to-consumer brands provide high-quality stuff that not everyone will have. Quince sells our favorite $50 cashmere sweater, which is anywhere from 50% to 75% less than you would pay at other retailers. You’ll also love Cozy Earth which carries a line of incredibly soft pajamas and loungewear that are often on sale.
There are plenty of awesome clothing discounts and deals available out there, you just have to know where to look.
You may also like: Top 9 Items You Should Stop Buying.